12.10.2008

EVERYDAY HEROES LIKE ME, AEROSMITH



As a big-shot music journalist, I've conducted a few hundred interviews with national recording artists and attended a bajillion industry functions where they serve those awesome chicken skewers. Those shits are tasty, fuck the sauce. Yeah anyway, I'm in the system and everyday suckers foot the bill indirectly for all the free music lavished upon me. Being a journalist also means I'm unforgivably lazy; so on occasion I just DL stuff rather than gabbing with busy publicity flacks. As you can tell from the outpouring following the recent death of Adrian Bromley, writers get very close with good publicists; I think it's big of me to repay their friendship by saving their shipping and promo budgets. 

That's what I'll tell the judge and RIAA counsel, anyway. When he wields his gavel at me and inquires about non-current music I've filched from the interslice, I'll continue by explaining that most of that old shit isn't even available for purchase. Like that second Junkyard album. Or my big get for today, Aerosmith's MTV Unplugged sessions from 1990. Who knows why this has never seen commercial release, but I taped it off its premiere broadcast (does anyone remember cable radio?) and played the ballbag off of it. In the unplugged setting, most acts have to acousticize their hard rocking shit, which sounds way limp; Aerosmith, however, had some readymade acoustic-ish highlights (underappreciated classic "Hangman Jury") along with standards ("Big Ten Inch" "Walkin' The Dog") and a well-transformed original ("Toys In The Attic"). For some reason, it was a measily 30-minute broadcast, which robbed us all of the unaired shit, like Get Your Wings centerpiece "Seasons of Wither" (below). I'm out of order? You're out of order! The whole dick-eating system is out of order!

No comments: