12.17.2008

DIRTY ROTTEN REUNION. KINDA.


It was confusing to me that tons of half-ass skater types from my sister's grade were excruciatingly nice to a Metalhead malcontent such as myself. Alas, it didn't take too long to figure out that the boner-blinded punks believed palling around with me was a sure route to my protective sister's hoodle.

What I got out of the deal was an advance peek into punk rock and hardcore via easy access to the pimply beggars' tape collections. For a minute I thought TSOL, Subhumans, and Circle Jerks were good (WRONG), but the real treasure among the dreck was Texas' magnificent D.R.I. Their tour de force was Dealing With It, an instant crossover classic and HooM! Hall Of Fame record. As thankful as I am for discovering Dealing, I really wish my sister had kept better company, like say with the cadre of cuddly heshers perenially at the fringe of my young life. Those guys rocked and it's certain that I would've weaseled a ride to that Megadeth show, instead of lousy Agnostic Front. Damn.

It may have been for the best since these days I'd give a nut to see D.R.I. play and two nuts to be spared Megadeth in concert. So ya never know. A few dozen lucky dudes kept both nuts and saw a teeny bit of D.R.I. on Saturday night, when bands led by vocalist Kurt Brecht (genius) and drummer Felix (awesome) shared a bill at Room 710 in Austin. The two D.R.I.ers must be pushing for a Nobel Peace Prize cuz they treated us all to classic "I Don't Need Society" (below).


No comments: