1.20.2009

HOOM! EXPOSÉ: PARAMORE OUT OF REFUSED!



I was cooking up some cock-and-bull story about how I 'accidentally' heard Paramore's 2007 album Riot! but we at HooM! adhere to a high standard of disclosure and alright alright I love that goddamn album. Pure Doritos music. I'd say Cool Ranch. Thanks producer/ghostwriter David Bendeth. Ahem.

Moving on did you know that on album closer "Born For This" (below, at :48), Hayley whatever and company reference "Liberation Frequency" from the legendary Refused record The Shape Of Punk To Come? After the shock wore off, I was kinda in denial about it until headphones revealed a ahem interpolation of the main riff buried in the mix beneath the borrowed lyric. 

It's an open nod, not a lift, so their motives are innocent -- but oh-so puzzling. I mean, what Paramore fan is going to spot a line ("We want the airwaves back") from an obscure hardcore song (below below, at :38)? Who familiar with Refused will last 40 minutes into Riot!? Uh besides me. I guess it's cool that Refused gets some royalties from platinum-selling mallcore brats; if there were any justice Shape woulda sold 8 bajillion copies anyway. But good lord why/how/how come this happened? Producer idea? Lost bet? Is this one of those things that lets the inessential guitar player exert some power over the band and claim some cred? "Sure," he'd say whoever he is, "our music is hyper-scrubbed insta-fluff. But who else shouts out one of the most revered albums of all time? Those posers in Fallout Boy? Pshaw!" 






No comments: