1.07.2009

I HEART DAN LILKER



If cuddly bassist Dan Lilker has done anything wrong, I sure as shit haven't heard about it. I think that cat is just tops, a true Metal lifer. Most headbangers heard of Lilker as a member of the fledgling Anthrax (nice start); then there was the lame but forgivable S.O.D. and Nuclear Assault, the latter authors of at least one stupidly awesome speed/thrash record (Handle With Care). When N'Assault went all limp with that ear-raping cover of dumbest song ever "Ballroom Blitz" (pre-Wayne's World thank god), Lilker jumped into grind with Brutal Truth. I'm not his fucking biographer or anything, but you can see how all this Metal experience may amount to some pretty wild anecdotes. We've gotten bits of Lilker wisdom over the years, like in last year's bonerific doc Get Thrashed (above), but there are more to come. From a press release via Blabbermouth:
It's now been a quarter-century that I have played music that in the 'professional' arena. Over that period, I've experienced a lot in several different bands, and there's been many a time when I was hanging out either backstage somewhere, at a bar, or at a party, when I entertained those assembled with an interesting story from my experiences. More often than not, someone would say, 'You should write a book man, you've seen it all!' To which I'd reply, 'It would take forever to organize something like that!'

But back in February '07, when Brutal Truth did a tour of the U.K., our vocalist Kevin Sharp suggested bringing along his friend Dave Hofer, a journalist from Chicago. Dave wanted to keep a daily journal throughout the tour, which was published later in
Metal Maniacs. So the next time he came on tour with us, he said, 'You should write a book, and I'll help you!'
Judging from the amount of line editing I did to make Lilker's comments readable, it's a good thing that a journalist is taking care of the composition duties on the tome, tentatively titled The Story Of My Widdle Teeth by Dan Lilker. OK I made that up but yeah somebody publish this bitch!


No comments: