11.13.2008

CUZ WE'RE CEPHALICA



It's hard to overestimate the life-changing power of ...And Justice For All, the final album by Metallica (1983 - 1989 RIP). I remember being coached on the proper loading of the ahem compact disc and my shock when the display showed nine songs at an intimidating 65 minutes. That was nothing compared to the effects of "Blackened"'s slowly massing army of sustaining guitars, soon roused into tight formation by Lars' arid, violent snare drum. My jaw and balls dropped even before Hetfield uttered a word. (I shat myself right around Lady Justice has been rrraped.) Hard to believe Justice was sent my way by our school's hunky king of cool kids (with whom I'd sneak cigarettes after choir ha). 

Sounds like Cephalic Carnage guitarist/coolest guy ever Zac Joe (above) feels the same way. From Decibel:
Back then, of course, production value made no sense to me and was of no concern, but you could tell [...And Justice For All] was groundbreaking and would come to set the standard. From the opening swells of the guitar to the aggressive accents of the first riff, you knew this was going to seriously kick ass. They had refined everything about themselves, including their political observations. I’ve never liked a Metallica album since.
I’m definitely proud that Metallica was the band that got me started, as opposed to Pantera or even Korn. I feel bad for those kids. I really do. They missed an exciting era, before the inevitable attack of the clones. Thanks Metallica for four great albums ($5.98 EP is fucking priceless as well) and what seems to be a surprisingly good new one. You may never know how much you meant to one half-retarded kid in Wyoming, but you made a world of difference.

No comments: