11.12.2008

YOU'VE BEEN OLDED!



A friend and I kinda look at it as fact that Clooney is the only peer of Cary Grant. And possibly vice versa. Buttt If those two guys ever need a Michael Anthony, HooM! hereby nominates Charles Laughton. That dude is like Grant and Clooney: all home runs and triples. He just doesn't have the kisser. Laughton is TCM's Star Of The Month in November and thus rokked my shit in a steakish naval adventure the evuhning before lahhhst ha. First off, the plot is genius because its pace mimics that of a British Navy destroyer; I'd been watching for a solid 15 minutes before the um war movie suddenly tried to make me laugh. And with great success my stars. But I began to forget that Laughton was in the damn shit cuz he'd been off screen so long. Then he parachuted in with two grand slam freak-outs. Anyhow before long, the frame is packed with babies and sailors and anti-Japanese epithets. Ahem but before you can protest cough there's a super-awesome explosion. The saga closes with some additional happy-endery; then I finally hear it's called Stand By For Action and that is among the stupidest fucking titles I've ever had my ears raped by.

Stand By For Action? That's like if Oreos were called You Are About To Taste Somethings. That's what fucking Marq Torien says to chicks right before he peels off spandex. Or maybe scarves; I'm having trouble picturing Torien's wardrobe. Hey there we go (above). Don't miss The Bribe on Mon 11.24.


No comments: