11.17.2008

NOT STONED ENOUGH FOR THE FACELESS



To devote myself to the critical first listen to complicated Metal records, it's essential that I administer proper dosage of my attention deficit medication (pot) lest I be distracted by today's sudoku or those unidentified white spots on my potted palm. Indeed, after ripping a couple um doses, I just stare into the middle distance while nary a nuance escapes my tinitus-dulled hearing. In that state, my concentration is such that I actually can hear smells. Turn down that garlic!

We all know that some records stick to safe confines and require only one listen to comprehend blah bling blarg. But after one spin of the baffling prog-death outing Planetary Duality from Los Angeles sextet The Faceless, my understanding of the album is so superficial that I hesitate to lazily throw around influences (Atheist, Cynic) or contemporaries (Byzantine, Sikth) or even peddle some reviewerese (spellbinding, punishing, challenging). Which means either The Faceless record is awesome, or that I wasn't baked enough. I'd better try again tonight, so while I cancel plans to read to elderly people, listen to all of Planetary Duality and hear what all the confusion is about. 


No comments: