11.04.2008

THE AUDACITY OF HOPE (FOR BETTER METAL)



I'm living proof that voting should be restricted to non-retards. After an entire evening spent in line breathing stale, stank air, it turns out I was without proper documentation to register. And so, I shamefully left the line mere feet from the voting booths after enduring two and a half hours of ceaseless bullshit from my linemates. What am I? a fucking idiot?

There is something I'm more than qualified to vote on, and that's next year's most anticipated Metal record (nice segue). Until late last week, God Forbid's forthcoming Earthsblood figured largely in my Metal plans for 2009, but the new song "Empire of the Gun" sounds like Shadows Fall. By which I mean 'overproduced,' 'generic,' and 'not heavy enough'. 

Meanwhile, Lamb Of God has announced Wrath, their fifthcoming forth album. Actually, flip those. While God Forbid has credited the silly, pointless movie There Will Be Blood with influencing their album title choice, one wonders if LOG watched Seven a bunch of times while recording Wrath. Or that Charlie Sheen movie. Oh wait that's The Wraith. And we all know Insane Clown Posse already did that!

But the most promising upcoming album honors belong to Mastodon (above). If ever asked to name an album as engaging and magical as Mastodon's 2006 outing Blood Mountain, I would pause thoughtfully and then reply between measured silences. "That's a great question, Frank. My answer would have to be ... Hounds of Love. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Deloused In The Comatorium." Uh. I mean that's what I'd say if I were bearded HIPSTER SCUM! For real I'd say Streets. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Nothingface. And in all likelihood, Mastodon's upcoming Brendan O'Brien-produced album Crack The Skye. Bring that shit on!


No comments: