2.23.2009

REACH FOR THIS GUY


So following that unforgivable Robbin Crosby crack, I spent the weekend blasting Ratt and reading up. Back in the '80s, details of an album's production were scarce so I had no idea that Michael Schenker of all people contributed guitars uncredited to Detonator (due to Crosby's uh unavailability) and what else do I find but that sources insist that Ratt's great 1988 album Reach For The Sky is universally reviled as a dud. What the fuck is that? Sure, "I Want A Woman" is dumb as shit while obnoxious is not a big enough term to describe the final minute of "Bottom Line" but come on. Those tunes rock anyway and there are no absolute pukers like "Dance" or "Wack Off Communication." Few pop-rock songs are as memorable or sweet as "What's It Gonna Be" and I bet dollars to donuts that fucking Aerosmith is jealous of "Way Cool Jr" (knocker-packed video above, also cute Boogie Nights-themed clip here). Toss in opener "City To City" and kinda hilarious ballad "I Want To Love You Tonight" and BAM you got yourself some pure awesome. Fuck off, world.


No comments: