2.04.2009

LAMB OF GODDAMN IT ANYWAY



I'm a connected guy in the music industry, so I knew that if I indiscriminately HJ'ed all of my contacts that eventually somebody would furnish me with an advance of the new Lamb of God record, Wrath. Well, my right hand is leathered and claw-like -- and my lotion budget exploded by 300% -- but it was worth it! Wrath is wrath-ical! Ha holy shit I'm good. 

But I feel like a dickhole cuz the title (and only the title) of Wrath's fifth track "Fake Messiah" totally reminded me of "Fake Healer" (above), the thunderous opening track on Metal Church's boffo Blessing In Disguise record (Terry Date y'all). Which got me pondering Golden Age Thrash Metal bands' love of semi-informed socio-political commentary, a topic best covered by the Metal Inquisition guys. Suffice it to say EVERY Thrash band had a song about fraudulent religious figures (Ozzy/"Miracle Man"; Anthrax/"Make Me Laugh"; Suicidal Tendencies/"Send Me Your Money"; ad infinitum). 

But anyway, I didn't pay attention to the entire second half of Wrath as I tearfully followed the unfortunate arc of Metal Church's non-career on All Music Guide and recalled my years as an impressionable youth who considered a community of pimply heshers the authority on social responsibility. Way to depress the shit outta me, Lamb of God. 


No comments: