10.27.2008

"THERE'S NOT A *HELL* OF A LOT OF SEXUAL INNUENDO ON THE RECORD"



One of my earliest memories of total airhead shit in the loud rock community was courtesy of silly NYC cock-rock band Spread Eagle. Listening to the much-missed syndicated hard rock/metal program, Metal Shop, I heard a hilarious interview with SE frontman Ray West. When asked about possibly overdoing the risque lyrical content on the band's self titled debut (cover above), the singer diplomatically replied after some delay: "I mean, there's not a hell of a lot of sexual innuendo on the album." 

This happened in 1990, so violent hip hop and sleazy hair rock were still contending for most outrageous content. I can thank grunge for getting revenge on West and co. for me, yet I'll never forget falling off my bed in hysterics. "Yeah man. We're called Spread Eagle. We're a hair rock band. But, nah, man, while there's a lot of hot, steamy songs on our new record, I couldn't in all fairness describe the album as having a hell of a lot of sexual innuendo. Let's say vagina-based content has a formidable presence on the record. Next question." You be the judge when Spread Eagle plays songs from their debut and sophomore record Open To The Public on tour this winter.


No comments: